tenor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ten'ur), [key]
- the course of thought or meaning that runs through something written or spoken; purport; drift.
- continuous course, progress, or movement.
- the subject of a metaphor, as “she” in “She is a rose.” Cf.(def. 8).
- the adult male voice intermediate between the bass and the alto or countertenor.
- a part sung by or written for such a voice, esp. the next to the lowest part in four-part harmony.
- a singer with such a voice.
- an instrument corresponding in compass to this voice, esp. the viola.
- the lowest-toned bell of a peal.
- quality, character, or condition.
- of, pertaining to, or having the compass of a tenor.
- tenor (Thesaurus)