tease: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tēz), [key]
— v., n. teased, teas•ing,
- to irritate or provoke with persistent petty distractions, trifling raillery, or other annoyance, often in sport.
- to pull apart or separate the adhering fibers of (wool or the like), as in combing or carding; comb or card, as wool; shred.
- to ruffle (the hair) by holding it at the ends and combing toward the scalp so as to give body to a hairdo.
- to raise a nap on (cloth) with teasels; teasel.
- a short scene or highlight shown at the beginning of a film or television show to attract the audience's attention.
- to provoke or disturb a person or animal by importunity or persistent petty annoyances.
- a person who teases or annoys.
- the act of teasing or the state of being teased.
- tease (Thesaurus)