tare: Meaning and Definition of
- any of various vetches, esp. Vicia sativa.
- the seed of a vetch.
- a noxious weed, probably the darnel.
— n., v., tared, tar•ing.
- the weight of the wrapping, receptacle, or conveyance containing goods.
- a deduction from the gross weight to allow for this.
- the weight of a vehicle without cargo, passengers, etc.
- a counterweight used in chemical analysis to balance the weight of a container.
- a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter T.
- to ascertain, note, or allow for the tare of.
— v. Archaic.
- pt. and pp. of.
- tare (Thesaurus)