tape: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tāp), [key]
— n., v., taped, tap•ing.
- a long, narrow strip of linen, cotton, or the like, used for tying garments, binding seams or carpets, etc.
- a long, narrow strip of paper, metal, etc.
- a strip of cloth, paper, or plastic with an adhesive surface, used for sealing, binding, or attaching items together; adhesive tape or masking tape.
- a string stretched across the finishing line in a race and broken by the winning contestant on crossing the line.
- a magnetic tape carrying prerecorded sound: a tape of a rock concert.
- to furnish with a tape or tapes.
- to tie up, bind, or attach with tape.
- to measure with or as if with a tape measure.
- to record or prerecord on magnetic tape.
- to record something on magnetic tape.
- tape (Thesaurus)