swivel: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (swiv'ul), [key]
— n., v., -eled, -el•ing -elled, -el•ling.
- a fastening device that allows the thing fastened to turn around freely upon it, esp. to turn in a full circle.
- such a device consisting of two parts, each of which turns around independently, as a compound link of a chain, one part of which turns freely in the other by means of a headed pin or the like.
- a pivoted support allowing a gun to turn around in a horizontal plane.
- a swivel gun.
- a device attached to a loom and used as a shuttle to weave extra threads in the production of small figures, esp. dots.
- to turn or pivot on or as if on a swivel: He swiveled his chair around.
- to fasten by a swivel; furnish with a swivel.
- to turn on or if as on a swivel.
- swivel (Thesaurus)