Meaning of sweeten
Pronunciation: (swēt'n), [key]
- to make sweet, as by adding sugar.
- to make mild or kind; soften.
- to lessen the acridity or pungency of (a food) by prolonged cooking.
- to reduce the saltiness of (a food or dish) by diluting with water, milk, or other liquid.
- to make (the breath, room air, etc.) sweet or fresh, as with a mouthwash, spray, etc.
- (in musical recording) to add musical instruments to (an arrangement), esp. strings for a lusher sound.
- to make (the stomach, soil, etc.) less acidic, as by means of certain preparations, chemicals, etc.
- to remove sulfur and its compounds from (oil or gas).
- to enhance the value of (loan collateral) by including additional or especially valuable securities.
- to add to the value or attractiveness of (any proposition, holding, etc.).
- to add more liquor to (an alcoholic drink).
- to add stakes to (a pot) before opening.
- to become sweet or sweeter.
- sweeten (Thesaurus)