surround: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (su-round'), [key]
- to enclose on all sides; encompass: She was surrounded by reporters.
- to form an enclosure round; encircle: A stone wall surrounds the estate.
- to enclose (a body of troops, a fort or town, etc.) so as to cut off communication or retreat.
- something that surrounds, as the area, border, etc., around an object or central space: a tile surround for the shower stall.
- environment or setting: The designer created a Persian surround for the new restaurant.
- a means of hunting in which wild animals are encircled and chased into a special spot that makes their escape impossible.
- the act of hunting by this means.
- the location encircled by hunters using this means.
- surround (Thesaurus)