surety: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (shoor'i-tē, shoor'tē, shûr'i-tē, shûr'tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- security against loss or damage or for the fulfillment of an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.; a pledge, guaranty, or bond.
- a person who has made himself or herself responsible for another, as a sponsor, godparent, or bondsman.
- the state or quality of being sure.
- something that makes sure; ground of confidence or safety.
- a person who is legally responsible for the debt, default, or delinquency of another.
- assurance, esp. self-assurance.
- surety (Thesaurus)