Meaning of surcharge
Pronunciation: (n.sûr'chärj"v.sûr&sylpchärj', sûr'chärj"), [key]
— n., v., -charged, -charg•ing.
- an additional charge, tax, or cost.
- an excessive sum or price charged.
- an additional or excessive load or burden.
- an overprint that alters or restates the face value or denomination of a stamp to which it has been applied.
- a stamp bearing such an overprint.
- act of surcharging.
- to subject to an additional or extra charge, tax, cost, etc. (for payment).
- to overcharge for goods.
- to show an omission in (an account) of something that operates as a charge against the accounting party; to omit a credit toward (an account).
- to print a surcharge on (a stamp).
- to put an additional or excessive burden upon.
- surcharge (Thesaurus)