Meaning of superstructure
Pronunciation: (s'pur-struk"chur), [key]
- the part of a building or construction entirely above its foundation or basement.
- any structure built on something else.
- the overlying framework or features of an organization, institution, or system, built or superimposed on a more fundamental base.
- any construction built above the main deck of a vessel as an upward continuation of the sides. Cf.
- the part of a bridge that rests on the piers and abutments.
- anything based on or rising from some foundation or basis: a complex ideological superstructure based on two hypotheses.
- superstructure (Thesaurus)