Meaning of superordinate
Pronunciation: (adj., n.s"pur-ôr'dn-itv.s"pur-ôr'dn-āt"), [key]
— adj., n., v., -nat•ed, -nat•ing.
- of higher degree in condition or rank.
- (of a universal proposition) related to a particular proposition of the same quality and containing the same terms in the same order.
- a superordinate person or thing.
- a term that denotes a general class under which a set of subcategories is subsumed:Cf. “Child” is the superordinate of “girl” and “boy.”
- to elevate to superordinate position.
- superordinate (Thesaurus)