Meaning of summons
Pronunciation: (sum'unz), [key]
— n., pl. v. -mons•es,
- an authoritative command, message, or signal by which one is summoned.
- a request, demand, or call to do something: a summons to surrender.
- a call or citation by authority to appear before a court or a judicial officer.
- the writ by which the call is made.
- an authoritative call or notice to appear at a specified place, as for a particular purpose or duty.
- a call issued for the meeting of an assembly or parliament.
- to serve with a summons; summon.
- summons (Thesaurus)