Meaning of suffer
Pronunciation: (suf'ur), [key]
- to undergo or feel pain or distress: The patient is still suffering.
- to sustain injury, disadvantage, or loss: One's health suffers from overwork. The business suffers from lack of capital.
- to undergo a penalty, as of death: The traitor was made to suffer on the gallows.
- to endure pain, disability, death, etc., patiently or willingly.
- to undergo, be subjected to, or endure (pain, distress, injury, loss, or anything unpleasant): to suffer the pangs of conscience.
- to undergo or experience (any action, process, or condition): to suffer change.
- to tolerate or allow: I do not suffer fools gladly.
- suffer (Thesaurus)