Meaning of subdue
Pronunciation: (sub-d', -dy'), [key]
— -dued, -du•ing.
- to conquer and bring into subjection: Rome subdued Gaul.
- to overpower by superior force; overcome.
- to bring under mental or emotional control, as by persuasion or intimidation; render submissive.
- to repress (feelings, impulses, etc.).
- to bring (land) under cultivation: to subdue the wilderness.
- to reduce the intensity, force, or vividness of (sound, light, color, etc.); tone down; soften.
- to allay (inflammation, infection, etc.).
- subdue (Thesaurus)