Meaning of straw
Pronunciation: (strô), [key]
- a single stalk or stem, esp. of certain species of grain, chiefly wheat, rye, oats, and barley.
- a mass of such stalks, esp. after drying and threshing, used as fodder.
- material, fibers, etc., made from such stalks, as used for making hats or baskets.
- the negligible value of one such stalk; trifle; least bit: not to care a straw.
- a tube, usually of paper or glass, for sucking up a beverage from a container: to sip lemonade through a straw.
- anything of possible but dubious help in a desperate circumstance.
- See(def. 2).
- a straw hat.
- to seize at any chance, no matter how slight, of saving oneself from calamity.
- to decide by lottery using straws or strawlike items of different lengths, usually with the short straw or straws determining the person chosen or the loser.
- of, pertaining to, containing, or made of straw: a straw hat.
- of the color of straw; pale yellow.
- of little value or consequence; worthless.
- sham; fictitious.
- straw (Thesaurus)