stomach: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (stum'uk), [key]
- a saclike enlargement of the alimentary canal, as in humans and certain animals, forming an organ for storing, diluting, and digesting food.
- such an organ or an analogous portion of the alimentary canal when divided into two or more sections or parts.
- any one of these sections.
- any analogous digestive cavity or tract in invertebrates.
- the part of the body containing the stomach; belly or abdomen.
- appetite for food.
- desire, inclination, or liking: I have no stomach for this trip.
- spirit; courage.
- pride; haughtiness.
- resentment; anger.
- to endure or tolerate (someone or something): I can't stomach your constant nagging.
- to be offended at or resent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.