steward: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (st'urd, sty'-), [key]
- a person who manages another's property or financial affairs; one who administers anything as the agent of another or others.
- a person who has charge of the household of another, buying or obtaining food, directing the servants, etc.
- an employee who has charge of the table, wine, servants, etc., in a club, restaurant, or the like.
- a person who attends to the domestic concerns of persons on board a vessel, as in overseeing maids and waiters.
- an employee on a ship, train, or bus who waits on and is responsible for the comfort of passengers, takes orders for or distributes food, etc.
- a flight attendant.
- a person appointed by an organization or group to supervise the affairs of that group at certain functions.
- a petty officer in charge of officer's quarters and mess.
- to act as steward of; manage.
- to act or serve as steward.
- steward (Thesaurus)