stern: Meaning and Definition of
— -er, -est.
- firm, strict, or uncompromising: stern discipline.
- hard, harsh, or severe: a stern reprimand.
- rigorous or austere; of an unpleasantly serious character: stern times.
- grim or forbidding in aspect: a stern face.
- the after part of a vessel (often opposed to stem).
- the back or rear of anything.
- (cap.)the constellation Puppis.
- the tail of a hound.
- born 1920, U.S. violinist, born in Russia.
- 1888–1969, U.S. physicist, born in Germany: Nobel prize 1943.
- var. ofbefore a vowel: sternite.
- stern (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.