Meaning of steel
Pronunciation: (stēl), [key]
- any of various modified forms of iron, artificially produced, having a carbon content less than that of pig iron and more than that of wrought iron, and having qualities of hardness, elasticity, and strength varying according to composition and heat treatment: generally categorized as having a high, medium, or low-carbon content.
- a thing or things made of this metal.
- a flat strip of this metal used for stiffening, esp. in corsets; stay.
- a bar of this metal that has one end formed to hold a bit for driving through rock.
- stocks or bonds of companies producing this metal.
- a sword.
- a rounded rod of ridged steel, fitted with a handle and used esp. for sharpening knives.
- pertaining to or made of steel.
- like steel in color, hardness, or strength.
- to fit with steel, as by pointing, edging, or overlaying.
- to cause to resemble steel in some way.
- to render insensible, inflexible, unyielding, determined, etc.: He steeled himself to perform the dangerous task.
- steel (Thesaurus)