Meaning of steamroller
Pronunciation: (stēm'rō"lur), [key]
- a heavy steam-powered vehicle having a roller for crushing, compacting, or leveling materials used for a road or the like.
- (not in technical use) any similar vehicle with a roller.
- an overpowering force, esp. one that crushes all opposition with ruthless disregard for individual rights.
- to crush or flatten with a steamroller.
- to overcome with superior force: to steamroller the competition.
- to bring about the adoption of by overwhelming pressure: to steamroller the resolution through.
- to proceed with implacable force.
- suggestive of a steamroller; ruthlessly overpowering: steamroller tactics.
- steamroller (Thesaurus)