stain: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (stān), [key]
- a discoloration produced by foreign matter having penetrated into or chemically reacted with a material; a spot not easily removed.
- a natural spot or patch of color different from that of the basic color, as on the body of an animal.
- a cause of reproach; stigma; blemish: a stain on one's reputation.
- coloration produced by a dye that penetrates a substance, as wood.
- a dye made into a solution for coloring woods, textiles, etc.
- a reagent or dye used in treating a specimen for microscopic examination.
- to discolor with spots or streaks of foreign matter.
- to bring reproach or dishonor upon; blemish.
- to sully with guilt or infamy; corrupt.
- to color or dye (wood, cloth, etc.) by any of various processes that change or react with the substance chemically.
- to color with something that penetrates the substance.
- to treat (a microscopic specimen) with some reagent or dye in order to color the whole or parts and so give distinctness, contrast of tissues, etc.
- to produce a stain.
- to become stained; take a stain: This fabric stains easily.
- stain (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.