squeeze: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (skwēz), [key]
— v., n. squeezed, squeez•ing,
- to press forcibly together; compress.
- to apply pressure to in order to extract juice, sap, or the like: to squeeze an orange.
- to force out, extract, or procure by pressure: to squeeze juice from an orange.
- to thrust forcibly; force by pressure; cram: to squeeze three suits into a small suitcase.
- to fit into a small or crowded space or timespan: The doctor will try to squeeze you in between appointments.
- to enclose (another person's hand, arm, etc.) in one's hand and apply pressure as a token of affection, friendship, sympathy, or the like: His father squeezed his hand and wished him luck.
- to give (someone) a hug.
- to threaten, intimidate, harass, or oppress (a person) in order to obtain a favor, money, or an advantageous attitude or action.
- to cause financial hardship to: manufacturers squeezed by high tariffs.
- to obtain a facsimile impression of.
- to cause to merge, as two or more lines of traffic into fewer lanes.
- He squeezed him in with a perfect bunt.
- to enable (a runner on third base) to score on a squeeze play (often fol. by in):He squeezed him in with a perfect bunt.
- to score (a run) in this way (often fol. by in):The Dodgers squeezed in a run in the eighth inning.
- to force (an opponent) to play a potentially winning card on a trick he or she cannot win.
- to exert a compressing force.
- to force a way through some narrow or crowded place (usually fol. by through, in, out, etc.).
- to merge or come together.
- the act or fact of squeezing or the fact of being squeezed.
- a clasping of one's hand around another's hand, arm, etc., as a token of affection, friendship, sympathy, or the like.
- a hug or close embrace.
- a troubled financial condition, esp. caused by a shortage or restriction, as of credit or funds.
- a small quantity or amount of anything obtained by squeezing.
- squeak (def. 3).
- a sweetheart: his main squeeze.
- a facsimile impression of an inscription or the like, obtained by pressing some plastic substance over or around it.
- a play or circumstance whereby an opponent is forced to waste or discard a potentially winning card.
- an act of threatening, intimidating, harassing, or oppressing a person or persons to obtain a favor, money, or an advantageous attitude or action: gangsters putting the squeeze on small businesses.
- money or a favor obtained in such a way.
- squeeze (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.