Meaning of splutter
Pronunciation: (splut'ur), [key]
- to talk rapidly and somewhat incoherently, as when confused, excited, or embarrassed: When pushed for an explanation, he always spluttered.
- to make a sputtering sound, or emit particles of something explosively, as water dropped onto a hot griddle.
- to fly or fall in particles or drops; spatter, as a liquid.
- to utter hastily and confusedly or incoherently; sputter: Out of breath, she spluttered a poor excuse for her lateness.
- to spatter (a liquid, small particles, etc.).
- to bespatter (someone or something).
- spluttering utterance or talk; noise or fuss.
- a sputtering or spattering, as of liquid.
- splutter (Thesaurus)