speaking: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spē'king), [key]
- the act, utterance, or discourse of a person who speaks.
- literary works composed for recitation, as ancient bardic poetry; oral literature.
- that speaks.
- used in, suited to, or involving speaking or talking: the speaking voice.
- of or pertaining to declamation.
- giving information as if by speech: a speaking proof of a thing.
- highly expressive: speaking eyes.
- lifelike: a speaking likeness.
- not or no longer in a relationship of open, willing, or ready communication, as because of resentment or estrangement: They had a squabble during the holidays, and now they're not on speaking terms.
- I don't know the hosts well, but we are certainly on speaking terms.
- in a relationship close enough for or limited to friendly superficialities:I don't know the hosts well, but we are certainly on speaking terms.
- in a relationship of open, willing, or ready communication:Now that the debt has been settled, I hope you and your partner are on speaking terms again.
- speaking (Thesaurus)