soviet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sō'vē-et", -it, sō"vē-et'), [key]
- (in the Soviet Union).
- (before the revolution) any governmental council.
- (after the revolution) a local council, originally elected only by manual workers, with certain powers of local administration.
- (after the revolution) a higher council elected by a local council, being part of a hierarchy of soviets culminating in the Supreme Soviet.
- any similar council or assembly connected with a socialistic governmental system elsewhere.
- (cap.) Often,a governing official or person living in the Soviet Union: The Soviets have denied our charge.
- of or pertaining to a soviet.
- (cap.) of the Soviet Union: a Soviet statesman.
- soviet (Thesaurus)