Meaning of sop
Pronunciation: (sop), [key]
— n., v., sopped, sop•ping.
- a piece of solid food, as bread, for dipping in liquid food.
- anything thoroughly soaked.
- something given to pacify or quiet, or as a bribe: The political boss gave him some cash as a sop.
- a weak-willed or spineless person; milksop.
- to dip or soak in liquid food: to sop bread in gravy.
- to drench.
- to take up (liquid) by absorption (usually fol. by up): He used bread to sop up the gravy.
- to be or become soaking wet.
- (of a liquid) to soak (usually fol. by in).
- Standard Operating Procedure; Standing Operating Procedure.
- sop (Thesaurus)