Meaning of socket
Pronunciation: (sok'it), [key]
- a hollow part or piece for receiving and holding some part or thing.
- a device intended to hold an electric light bulb mechanically and connect it electrically to circuit wires.
- Also calledwall socket.a socket placed in a wall to receive a plug that makes an electrical connection with supply wiring.
- the socket of the eye.
- a hollow in one part that receives another part:the socket of the eye.
- the concavity of a joint:the socket of the hip.
- to place in or fit with a socket.
- socket (Thesaurus)