social: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sō'shul), [key]
- pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations: a social club.
- seeking or enjoying the companionship of others; friendly; sociable; gregarious.
- of, pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society: a social event.
- living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation: People are social beings.
- of or pertaining to human society, esp. as a body divided into classes according to status: social rank.
- involved in many social activities: We're so busy working, we have to be a little less social now.
- of or pertaining to the life, welfare, and relations of human beings in a community: social problems.
- noting or pertaining to activities designed to remedy or alleviate certain unfavorable conditions of life in a community, esp. among the poor.
- pertaining to or advocating socialism.
- living habitually together in communities, as bees or ants. Cf.(def. 8).
- growing in patches or clumps.
- occurring or taking place between allies or confederates.
- a social gathering or party, esp. of or as given by an organized group: a church social.
- social (Thesaurus)