snake: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (snāk), [key]
— n., v., snaked, snak•ing.
- any of numerous limbless, scaly, elongate reptiles of the suborder Serpentes, comprising venomous and nonvenomous species inhabiting tropical and temperate areas.
- a treacherous person; an insidious enemy. Cf.
- Also calledauger, plumber's snake.(in plumbing) a device for dislodging obstructions in curved pipes, having a head fed into the pipe at the end of a flexible metal band.
- Also calledwirepuller.a length of resilient steel wire, for threading through an electrical conduit so that wire can be pulled through after it.
- to move, twist, or wind: The road snakes among the mountains.
- to wind or make (one's course, way, etc.) in the manner of a snake: to snake one's way through a crowd.
- to drag or haul, esp. by a chain or rope, as a log.
- snake (Thesaurus)