smother: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (smu'ur), [key]
- to stifle or suffocate, as by smoke or other means of preventing free breathing.
- to extinguish or deaden (fire, coals, etc.) by covering so as to exclude air.
- to cover closely or thickly; envelop: to smother a steak with mushrooms.
- to suppress or repress: to smother feelings.
- to steam (food) slowly in a heavy, tightly closed vessel with a minimum of liquid: smothered chicken and onions.
- to become stifled or suffocated; be prevented from breathing.
- to be stifled; be suppressed or concealed.
- dense, stifling smoke.
- a smoking or smoldering state, as of burning matter.
- dust, fog, spray, etc., in a dense or enveloping cloud.
- an overspreading profusion of anything: a smother of papers.
- smother (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.