Meaning of smite
Pronunciation: (smīt), [key]
— v., smote smit smit&sylten smit smit&syling.
- to strike or hit hard, with or as with the hand, a stick, or other weapon: She smote him on the back with her umbrella.
- to deliver or deal (a blow, hit, etc.) by striking hard.
- to strike down, injure, or slay: His sword had smitten thousands.
- to afflict or attack with deadly or disastrous effect: smitten by polio.
- to affect mentally or morally with a sudden pang: His conscience smote him.
- to affect suddenly and strongly with a specified feeling: They were smitten with terror.
- to impress favorably; charm; enamor: He was smitten by her charms.
- to strike; deal a blow.
- See (def. 6).
- smite (Thesaurus)