smear: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (smēr), [key]
- to spread or daub (an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance) on or over something: to smear butter on bread.
- to spread or daub an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance on: to smear bread with butter.
- to stain, spot, or make dirty with something oily, greasy, viscous, or wet.
- to sully, vilify, or soil (a reputation, good name, etc.).
- to smudge or blur, as by rubbing: The signature was smeared.
- to defeat decisively; overwhelm: They smeared the home team.
- an oily, greasy, viscous, or wet substance, esp. a dab of such a substance.
- a stain, spot, or mark made by such a substance.
- a smudge.
- something smeared or to be smeared on a thing, as a glaze for pottery.
- a small quantity of something spread thinly on a slide for microscopic examination.
- vilification: a smear by a cheap gossip columnist.
- smear (Thesaurus)