Meaning of sludge
Pronunciation: (sluj), [key]
- mud, mire, or ooze; slush.
- a deposit of ooze at the bottom of a body of water.
- any of various more or less mudlike deposits or mixtures.
- the sediment in a steam boiler or water tank.
- broken ice, as on the sea.
- a mixture of some finely powdered substance and water.
- sediment deposited during the treatment of sewage.
- Also calledsewage sediment that contains a heavy growth of microorganisms, resulting from vigorous aeration.
- a fine, mudlike powder produced by a mining drill.
- sludge (Thesaurus)