sideline: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sīd'līn"), [key]
— n., v., -lined, -lin•ing.
- a line at the side of something.
- a business or activity pursued in addition to one's primary business; a second occupation.
- an additional or auxiliary line of goods: a grocery store with a sideline of household furnishings.
- either of the two lines defining the side boundaries of a field or court.
- sidelines,the area immediately beyond either sideline, where the substitute players sit.
- to render incapable of participation, esp. in anything involving vigorous, physical action, as a sport: An injury to his throwing arm sidelined the quarterback for two weeks.
- sideline (Thesaurus)