Meaning of shunt
Pronunciation: (shunt), [key]
- to shove or turn (someone or something) aside or out of the way.
- to sidetrack; get rid of.
- to divert (a part of a current) by connecting a circuit element in parallel with another.
- to place or furnish with a shunt.
- to shift (rolling stock) from one track to another; switch.
- to divert blood or other fluid by means of a shunt.
- the tube itself.
- to move or turn aside or out of the way.
- (of a locomotive with rolling stock) to move from track to track or from point to point, as in a railroad yard; switch.
- the act of shunting; shift.
- Also calleda conducting element bridged across a circuit or a portion of a circuit, establishing a current path auxiliary to the main circuit, as a resistor placed across the terminals of an ammeter for increasing the range of the device.
- a railroad switch.
- a channel through which blood or other bodily fluid is diverted from its normal path by surgical reconstruction or by a synthetic tube.
- an anastomosis.
- being, having, or operating by means of a shunt: a shunt circuit; a shunt generator.
- shunt (Thesaurus)