Meaning of shrink
Pronunciation: (shringk), [key]
— v., n. shrank shrunk shrunk shrunk𠈮n shrink•ing
- to draw back, as in retreat or avoidance: to shrink from danger; to shrink from contact.
- to contract or lessen in size, as from exposure to conditions of temperature or moisture: This cloth will not shrink if washed in lukewarm water.
- to become reduced in extent or compass.
- to cause to shrink or contract; reduce.
- to cause (a fabric) to contract during finishing, thus preventing shrinkage, during laundering, of the garments made from it.
- an act or instance of shrinking.
- a shrinking movement.
- Also calleda psychotherapist, psychiatrist, or psychoanalyst.
- shrink (Thesaurus)