Meaning of shovel
Pronunciation: (shuv'ul), [key]
— n., v., -eled, -el•ing -elled, -el•ling.
- an implement consisting of a broad blade or scoop attached to a long handle, used for taking up, removing, or throwing loose matter, as earth, snow, or coal.
- any fairly large contrivance or machine with a broad blade or scoop for taking up or removing loose matter: a steam shovel.
- a shovelful.
- to take up and cast or remove with a shovel: to shovel coal.
- to gather up in large quantity roughly or carelessly with or as if with a shovel: He shoveled food into his mouth.
- to dig or clear with or as if with a shovel: to shovel a path through the snow.
- to work with a shovel.
- shovel (Thesaurus)