Meaning of sham
Pronunciation: (sham), [key]
— n., adj., v., shammed, sham•ming.
- something that is not what it purports to be; a spurious imitation; fraud or hoax.
- a person who shams; shammer.
- a cover or the like for giving a thing a different outward appearance: a pillow sham.
- pretended; counterfeit; feigned: sham attacks; a sham Gothic façade.
- designed, made, or used as a sham.
- to produce an imitation of.
- to assume the appearance of; pretend to have: to sham illness.
- to make a false show of something; pretend.
- sham (Thesaurus)