Meaning of shakedown
Pronunciation: (shāk'doun"), [key]
- extortion, as by blackmail or threats of violence.
- a thorough search: a shakedown of prison cells to uncover hidden drugs.
- a bed, as of straw or blankets, spread on the floor.
- any makeshift bed.
- the act or process of shaking down.
- Also calleda cruise or flight intended to prepare a new vessel or aircraft for regular service by accustoming the crew to its features and peculiarities, breaking in and adjusting machinery, etc.
- shakedown (Thesaurus)