Meaning of severity
Pronunciation: (su-ver'i-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- harshness, sternness, or rigor: Their lives were marked by severity.
- austere simplicity, as of style, manner, or taste: The severity of the decor was striking.
- intensity or sharpness, as of cold or pain.
- grievousness; hard or trying character or effect: The severity of his loss was finally becoming apparent.
- rigid exactness or accuracy.
- an instance of strict or severe behavior, punishment, etc.
- severity (Thesaurus)