Meaning of sergeant
Pronunciation: (sär'junt), [key]
- a noncommissioned army officer of a rank above that of corporal.
- any noncommissioned officer above the rank of airman first class.
- a police officer ranking immediately below a captain or a lieutenant in the U.S. and immediately below an inspector in Britain.
- a title of a particular office or function at the court of a monarch (often used in combination): sergeant of the larder; sergeant-caterer.
- Also called(formerly) a member of a superior order of barristers.
- (cap.) a surface-to-surface, single-stage, U.S. ballistic missile.
- a tenant by military service, below the rank of knight.
- sergeant (Thesaurus)