senate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sen'it), [key]
- an assembly or council of citizens having the highest deliberative functions in a government, esp. a legislative assembly of a state or nation.
- (cap.) the upper house of the legislature of certain countries, as the United States, France, Italy, Canada, Ireland, Republic of South Africa, Australia, and some Latin American countries.
- the room or building in which such a group meets.
- the supreme council of state, the membership and functions of which varied at different periods.
- a governing, advisory, or disciplinary body, as in certain universities.
- senate (Thesaurus)