Meaning of selection
Pronunciation: (si-lek'shun), [key]
- an act or instance of selecting or the state of being selected; choice.
- a thing or a number of things selected.
- an aggregate of things displayed for choice, purchase, use, etc.; a group from which a choice may be made: The store had a wide selection of bracelets.
- any natural or artificial process that results in differential reproduction among the members of a population so that the inheritable traits of only certain individuals are passed on, or are passed on in greater proportion, to succeeding generations. Cf.
- the choice of one form instead of another in a position where either can occur, as of ask instead of tell or with in the phrase ask me.
- the choice of one semantic or syntactic class of words in a construction, to the exclusion of others that do not occur there, as the choice of an animate object for the verb surprise.
- selection (Thesaurus)