Meaning of segment
Pronunciation: (n.seg'muntv.seg'ment, seg&sylpment'), [key]
- one of the parts into which something naturally separates or is divided; a division, portion, or section: a segment of an orange.
- a part cut off from a figure, esp. a circular or spherical one, by a line or plane, as a part of a circular area contained by an arc and its chord or by two parallel lines or planes.
- Also calledline segment.a finite section of a line.
- any of the rings that compose the body of an annelid or arthropod.
- any of the discrete parts of the body of an animal, esp. of an arthropod.
- an object, as a machine part, having the form of a segment or sector of a circle.
- a portion of a program, often one that can be loaded and executed independently of other portions.
- a unit of data in a database.
- an arclike support on which the typebars of a typewriter rest when not in use.
- to separate or divide into segments.
- segment (Thesaurus)