secant: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sē'kant, -kunt), [key]
- an intersecting line, esp. one intersecting a curve at two or more points.
- (in a right triangle) the ratio of the hypotenuse to the side adjacent to a given angle.
- (originally) a line from the center of a circle through one extremity of an arc to the tangent from the other extremity.
- the ratio of the length of this line to that of the radius of the circle; the reciprocal of the cosine of a given angle or arc. Abbr.: sec
- cutting or intersecting, as one line or surface in relation to another.
- secant (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.