Meaning of sconce
- a bracket for candles or other lights, placed on a wall, mirror, picture frame, etc.
- the hole or socket of a candlestick, for holding the candle.
— n., v., sconced, sconc•ing.
- a small detached fort or defense work, as to defend a pass, bridge, etc.
- a protective screen or shelter.
- to protect with a sconce.
- to protect; shelter.
— v., n. sconced, sconc•ing,
- (at English universities, esp. formerly) to fine (an undergraduate) for a breach of rules or etiquette.
- a fine so imposed.
- the head or skull.
- sense or wit.
- sconce (Thesaurus)