Meaning of scintillation
Pronunciation: (sin"tl-ā'shun), [key]
- the act of scintillating; sparkling.
- a spark or flash.
- the twinkling or tremulous effect of the light of the stars.
- any small-scale twinkling or shimmering of objects that are viewed through the atmosphere, caused by an interception of the observer's line of view by inhomogeneities in the atmospheric refractive index.
- a flash of light from the ionization of a phosphor struck by an energetic photon or particle.
- random fluctuation of the amplitude, phase, or polarization of an electromagnetic wave.
- (on a radar display) a slight, rapid shifting of a spot of light or the image of an object about its mean position.
- scintillation (Thesaurus)