Pronunciation: (skēm), [key]
— n., v., schemed, schem•ing.
- a plan, design, or program of action to be followed; project.
- an underhand plot; intrigue.
- a visionary or impractical project.
- a body or system of related doctrines, theories, etc.: a scheme of philosophy.
- any system of correlated things, parts, etc., or the manner of its arrangement.
- a plan, program, or policy officially adopted and followed, as by a government or business: The company's pension scheme is very successful.
- an analytical or tabular statement.
- a diagram, map, or the like.
- an astrological diagram of the heavens.
- to devise as a scheme; plan; plot; contrive.
- to lay schemes; devise plans; plot.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.