scan: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (skan), [key]
— v., n. scanned, scan•ning,
- to examine the particulars or points of minutely; scrutinize.
- to glance at or over or read hastily: to scan a page.
- to peer out at or observe repeatedly or sweepingly, as a large expanse; survey.
- to analyze (verse) as to its prosodic or metrical structure; read or recite (verse) so as to indicate or test the metrical form.
- to read (data) for use by a computer or computerized device, esp. using an optical scanner.
- to traverse (a surface) with a beam of light or electrons in order to reproduce or transmit a picture.
- to traverse (a region) with a beam from a radar transmitter.
- to examine (a body, organ, tissue, or other biologically active material) with a scanner.
- to examine the meter of verse.
- (of verse) to conform to the rules of meter.
- to scan a surface or the like.
- an act or instance of scanning; close examination.
- a visual examination by means of a television camera, as for the purpose of making visible or relaying pictures from a remote place: a satellite scan of the dark side of the moon; video scans of property listings available to customers.
- a particular image or frame in such video observation or a photograph made from it.
- examination of the body or an organ or part, or a biologically active material, by means of a technique such as computed axial tomography, nuclear magnetic resonance, ultrasonography, or scintigraphy.
- the image or display so obtained.
- scan (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.