scallop: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (skol'up, skal'-), [key]
- any of the bivalve mollusks of the genus Argopecten (Pecten) and related genera that swim by rapidly clapping the fluted shell valves together.
- the adductor muscle of certain species of such mollusks, used as food.
- one of the shells of such a mollusk, usually having radial ribs and a wavy outer edge.
- a scallop shell or a dish in which food, esp. seafood, is baked and served.
- a thin slice of meat, usually further flattened by pounding with a mallet or other implement.
- any of a series of curved projections cut along the edge, as of a fabric.
- to finish (an edge) with scallops.
- to escallop.
- to dredge for scallops.
- scallop (Thesaurus)